Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cheapskate Does Not Necessarily Mean Bargain Hunter

I am attracted to magazine covers that promise new ways to save money. I stand in line at the store to read the article, pick it up at the doctor's office or check it out of the library. Invariably, I learn that if I buy clothes that don't need to be dry cleaned, I'll save hundreds of dollars over year and other equally obvious tips.

So when I saw Jeff Yeager on the Today Show touting his new book The Cheapskate Next Door, I thought I would read what he had to say about me. Of course, I checked the book out of the library, since I really am a cheapskate. In the best sense of the word. No kidding. The subtitle of the book, The Surprising Secrets of Americans Living Happily Below Their Means, supports my idea that being frugal and thrifty, isn't dowdy and boring, but is actually cool and fun.

Before daughter #2 takes off to her first apartment, first job, her own independent life, I am going to make her read this book. Of course, our example of frugal living throughout the childhoods of my daughters ought to be a good foundation for them both, but it never hurts to hear good advice from someone other than one's parents.

No comments: