Monday, January 13, 2014

Her

We have decided that we don't really need to see the middle movie of The Hobbit series. At least not in the theaters. So last week when we saw Joaquin Phoenix on The Daily Show talking about his new movie, Her, we were intrigued, so we took in a weekend matinee.

Despite the fact that it was 2 hours long (and I think the story could have been tighter in 95 minutes), it was a pretty good commentary on our relationship with technology. The main character falls in love with his computer's operating system which is set up to become personalized to him. I loved the irony that he works for a company called BeautifulHandwrittenLetters.com.

I have held out for owning a smartphone now. (I held out on owning a cell phone for as long a possible.) I know I would love one. At home I am often tied to my desktop, laptop or iPad, (tv, too) but when I leave the house, I do not have a gadget to distract me from seeing the world around me. I watch as people are deeply absorbed in their devices, but not with other people. I know that some day I will get a smart phone, and I hope to not change my involvement in real life because of it.

No comments: