It was an art theme during our time in Iowa. The Des Moines Art Center proved to be a hidden gem. First of all, it's free. Second, it has a lovely collection of modern art. It felt to me as though the museum thought they should have one (possibly two) pieces from all my favorite artists. We saw a Picasso, Monet, O'Keefe, Rothko, Hopper, Matisse, Jasper Johns, two Calders, two Henri Moore sculptures, and many that I don't recall at the moment.
The website says that you are allowed to photograph the permanent collection, but the sign by the front door said otherwise, so I was limited to other kinds of photos.
I am assuming that all the museum guards were volunteers since there was no admission fee. These guards were extra vigilant in making sure that we did not touch the art. I didn't even make a move to get my camera out in the galleries. It makes me a little nervous to look at art when someone does not trust me not to touch it. I don't touch art!
This led me think that the International Art Museum Association (I made that up) should have a program like the TSA where they can prescreen museum guests and then give us a button to wear so that guards can relax when we enter a gallery.
One of the best things is an entire first edition of Matisse's Jazz collection.
![]() |
| A photo of the Matisse Jazz brochure. |




No comments:
Post a Comment