Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Day Off

Today was a delightful day to catch up on things. Ever vigilant, I took another trunkload of stuff to Goodwill, cleaned up and organized a room upstairs, went grocery shopping and even had time to play duets with Lynn and have coffee this afternoon with Hal.

However, the best part of the day was PEPPERNUTS, PART 1. Every year about this time, I start on these family Christmas cookies - a recipe from my Grandma Wiebe. Today was the day to make the dough. This takes about 45 minutes to an hour. First you warm up Dark Kayro Syrup and melt butter in it, then add sugar. When that's all creamed, you put it in a large bowl and add oodles of flour along with all kinds of spices. Today I used up the last of my cardamom... Anyway, after that you add a mixture of sour cream and eggs into which is put anise oil (which you must order from a pharmacist) and lemon extract and finish adding flour and stir until your arm falls off. Put your arm back on and put the dough into the refrigerator so the spices can intermingle.

PART 2 arrives when I have another spare hour or two. Maybe this weekend.

No comments: