Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Historic Voting Day

Hal and I woke early this morning and made it through the drizzle to our polling place around the block by 6:45. We were the 25th and 26th people in line. It was like a block party with people we don't usually see in the morning.

I have never felt excited to vote before, but when I slid the little card into the machine and pressed my inkadot pen into the first slot, I got a little lump in my throat.

We were out the door by 7:20, not too bad. We walked to the Village for breakfast and started out at Starbucks. We'd heard that although Starbucks was giving a free tall brewed coffee for voters, it was illegal in California to give rewards to people for voting. So we ordered our decaf and because it wasn't quite ready, we were given two free cups anyway. To go with our priced-right coffee, we dropped some money at Some Crust Bakery for a chocolate croissant (Hal) and a pumpkin danish (Charlotte).

Tonight is dinner with friends (big pot 'o soup and we all bring appetizers) while we watch election returns.

No comments: