It's been four years since Isabel Allende's last novel, Ines of My Soul, so I was more than ready for Island Beneath the Sea which arrived fairly quickly from the wait list at the public library. I love Allende's lyrical prose and the multigenerational epics she weaves. Zarité (Tété) starts life as a slave in late 18th C. Haiti, is moved to New Orleans before it is part of the United States, gains her freedom, but not without a price. Only small amounts of magical realism find their way into the story (bits of voodoo mixed with Catholicism), but the passion of love and life permeate every chapter and character of this novel.
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
More from Isabel Allende
It's been four years since Isabel Allende's last novel, Ines of My Soul, so I was more than ready for Island Beneath the Sea which arrived fairly quickly from the wait list at the public library. I love Allende's lyrical prose and the multigenerational epics she weaves. Zarité (Tété) starts life as a slave in late 18th C. Haiti, is moved to New Orleans before it is part of the United States, gains her freedom, but not without a price. Only small amounts of magical realism find their way into the story (bits of voodoo mixed with Catholicism), but the passion of love and life permeate every chapter and character of this novel.
Labels:
book
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment