With the reading of Ann Patchett's latest book, State of Wonder, I have read 26 books in the first six months this year. My favorites were: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire. And I always love the Number One Ladies' Detective Agency books, but that's like admitting that I like chocolate.
So, would I add this one to that list? I think Ann Patchett has a way with words, and I was hooked when I started this book, reading it quickly, and then slowing down so I would have more time with the characters and the language. And then about 3/4 of the way in, it became quite hard to suspend my disbelief. I won't give away any of the plot, but the end just takes too many twists and turns for my liking, and too many things happen at just the right time. I felt compelled to read this book, but I am now ambivalent about it. At first I thought it would be a perfect book for my older daughter, but now I know that she would be very put off by the "science" which is at the center of the novel.

No comments:
Post a Comment