Thursday, June 3, 2010

Two Good Reads in a Row!

It's a treat when I can find two good books in a row, just like I did this week. The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean has been on my read list for a while, and Jan from book club loaned it to me last month. An elderly Russian woman with Alzheimer's cannot remember her day-to-day details, but relives the art museum in Leningrad during the siege where she was a tour guide. It sounds as though it could be depressing, but the writing is tender and lovely.

2 comments:

Eleanor said...

I am reading "City of Thieves," about Leningrad under the siege. People were so starved and resorted to stealing. A good read.

Charlotte said...

We read that one for book club and we all liked it. We remember that it's the one about the eggs. This book is very different in character.