Before our opera matinee on Saturday, we decided to try out Cole's, the French Dip rival of Philippe's. We have been to Philippe's a few times, but heard about Cole's which also claims to be the originator of the French Dip Sandwich. While I don't particularly care who is the originator of the sandwich, I was ready to make a decision about which is the BEST French Dip.
Both establishments are different enough - Philippe's has sawdust on the floor and you line up to place your order at the counter. Cole's is an old bar/saloon and is dark, but has waiter service. So, both places have their own charm.
We each ordered a Skinny Dip - a half sandwich with one side. Hal chose pastrami, I beef. Hal chose the spicy sweet potato fries and I the bacon potato salad. Sandwich comes with an atomic pickle. My take: I like the crustier bread at Philippe's, but the sweet potato fries were really, really good. My potato salad was pretty good, and the atomic pickle was so spicy for me that I could only eat one bit. Hal enjoyed his and the rest of mine.

No comments:
Post a Comment