Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cutting for Stone

Next week my women's book club will be discussing Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. We chose January to discuss it since we take December off and this book is about 650 pages long.

I like to read epic novels which span either one person's lifetime or several generations, and continents. This novel follows the life of Marion Praise Stone from just before his birth until late adulthood, starting in Ethiopia with a cast of characters from India and other places, the story of love and loss, betrayal and compassion fills all the requirements of story.

There are parts of medical procedures which I had to skim, but it turns out that Verghese himself is a physician, so he must have felt those parts important. It also took a little patience for me to get through the first 100 pages or so, but by the end I was reading larger and larger chunks.

No comments: