Monday, May 2, 2011

Hope in the Classroom

Today marks the start of state testing in the Claremont elementary schools.  Every year I marvel at the amount of time and resources this takes, and how coloring in little bubbles in a booklet somehow says something to someone about the way a child thinks and understands and solves problems.

And then I just finished reading this exhausting and exhilarating book about the life of a 5th grade classroom in an LA public school.  If you can't grab the book right away, you can go to the website for this classroom and read about the life of 5th graders who voluntarily come to school at 6:30 a.m. and stay until 5.  They learn Shakespeare and art and music as well as science, math, reading, social studies and real p.e.

Now, how can I incorporate some of those ideas into the music classroom?

1 comment:

Eleanor said...

This is something your girls would have liked. Now that's how kids should be educated. Perhaps a little time for fun isn't too bad either.