Saturday, May 28, 2011

Pulitzer Prize Winner

It seems that when a book wins a big prize, I can be sure not to like it very much.  Many are hailed as "instant classics".  Although I couldn't make book club last Sunday, I read the recent Pulitzer Prize winner, Jennifer Egan's A Visit From the Goon Squad that everyone else read.  Yesterday I got to discuss it with Kim, from book club, over coffee.  Neither of us particularly liked the book, but it's always good to talk about it.

Each chapter is a separate story with connected characters, many of whom for which I had zero empathy.  Each story looked at time (the goon squad) from a different point of view.  The penultimate chapter is a powerpoint presentation, and I thought I wouldn't like that one, but it ended up being my favorite chapter.  The subject of the powerpoint is gaps of silence (time) in different rock songs.

2 comments:

Ms. Lois said...

Same with children's books, Charlotte. I hardly ever agree with the Caldecot/Newbery choices.

Charlotte said...

Yes, me too! I often enjoy the honor books, though. My next-door neighbor is on the Caldecott Committee...