Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Crocheted Coral Reefs

This year the HMC Nelson Speaker Series is called Art, Science and Technology: Between the Studio and the Lab. I was excited to go to the first talk in the series last night (Reefs, Rubbish and Reason: An Unlikely Yarn about Global Warming and the World's Biggest Art+Science Project) because I had a chance of understanding everything in the talk. I did!

Margaret Wertheim, the Co-founder and Director of The Institute for Figuring in LA spoke about the project she and her twin sister, Christine Wertheim, started when they began crocheting a coral reef. Since their first work with this medium, the project has exploded with more than 6,000 active participants and many different coral reefs in exhibition around the world. 

Wertheim wants the beauty of science to be enjoyed by anyone and everyone, and she believes that active creating of science models helps us all understand science and the beauty of science, no matter what our interests are. She is the author of three books and numerous articles in various publications. 



1 comment:

Judy said...

I was disappointed to have to choose between this and observing Yom Kippur so I am glad you wrote it up. Thanks.