Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Sisters Brothers

The best book recommendations come from friends with similar reading tastes to your own. The book I just put down yesterday came to me by way of a recommendation by Neil Gaiman, an author whose books I have enjoyed. The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt is the second western (sort of a western - it takes place during the California Gold Rush) I've read this year (the first was The Last Cattle Drive), and the second Funny book I've read this year. It is not often that I find a book that is funny, so I enjoy them when I can.

Eli and Charlie Sisters are brothers, two guns-for-hire, who are being sent to Sacramento to put an end to the life of Hermann Kermit Warm. Eli is not terribly keen on this kind of life, but he is unsure what else he is going to do. This odyssey includes quite a cast of characters from horses and beavers to ladies of questionable repute and gold miner hopefuls. DeWitt knows how to turn a phrase to bring characters and setting to life.

No comments: