Last November I heard a piece on NPR about singer/songwriter Martha Redbone. I was especially intrigued by the way she used poetry by William Blake set to the music of her Appalachian roots. After listening to a few of her songs online, I was so taken with her work that I bought her entire album The Garden of Love on iTunes. I rarely buy an entire album, but I have listened to this one many times already.
So, when I saw a poster at HMC saying that she would be giving a free concert at Scripps, I had to go. The concert was part of the Levitt on the Lawn series sponsored by the Levitt Pavillion in Pasadena. Liz Levitt Hirsch, a Scripps alum, is part of the Mortimer Levitt Foundation which encourages community through music by providing free outdoor concerts.
Along with many other lawn-sitters, I enjoyed the live music from Redbone's album, especially when she added some improvisational sections to the songs I already enjoy. There is something so much better about live music than recordings.
Now that I am aware that Scripps has two of these concerts every year, I will keep them on my radar!



No comments:
Post a Comment