Sunday, June 15, 2014

Choosing a Book Club Book


We have chosen July for hosting book club, the last one for us for the year before we head off to Zurich. I think that cleaning the house and getting ready for company is easier than choosing the book to discuss. I think the host should always pre-read the book before choosing it, otherwise you run the risk of a real dud.

Thinking about perhaps a Swiss theme, I thought I would peruse books about Switzerland or with a Swiss author. Know of any off the top of your head? No? Me, neither, but I discovered Max Frisch, a Zurich author. His most famous book is I'm Not Stiller. The pages number under 400, but the font is small and the lines close together, so it took awhile to read. Although I thought that the book would create a great discussion, I don't really want people to have to slog through the novel, so I returned it to the library upon completion. 

Then I tried Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. It read much, much faster, but I don't think it would lend itself to very good discussion.

I have to make up my mind in the next few weeks. During that time I have to read the book we're discussing in June. I may just have to go through my past book lists to find something suitable.


No comments: