I do not know what triggered this thought in my head this morning, but I remember a piece of graffiti in the Carleton tunnels.
Back in the day, when Americans were less lawsuit-happy, students used the steam tunnels that run underneath the Carleton campus to get from dorm to class to dining hall in warmth during the frigid Minnesota winters. When I was considering Carleton in high school, the tunnels were touted as being "student decorated." That meant graffiti. Carls, known for their/our quirky sense of humor painting such sayings as, "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." Here is a photo from the Carleton archives of the Twister board.
Back to my morning mind flash. I was thinking of the phrase, "We have all had the radish." I read that on the wall nearly every winter day as I went to class, and I never knew what that meant. When I asked others, they had no idea, either. Well, now we have the internet, and now I know! I found a blog called "Had the Radish," and this is what it said.
The unknown artist must have spray-painted that during finals.

No comments:
Post a Comment