Friday, August 19, 2011

E-Book

Last night I spent 20 minutes and successfully navigated the LA Co Library website and not only downloaded an e-book, but also the Adobe software needed to read the book on my laptop.  It took more steps than I thought that it should, but in the end, the book opened up.  Before I got too far into the book (Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler), I closed the application and reopened it to see if it would remember my place, and it sure did!

I have 14 days to finish the book before it disappears from my computer, and by that time, I'll see if I am a candidate for an e-reader.  I know that a laptop is not a Kindle, iPad or Nook, but I should get the idea.  I am not ready to give up paper pages, but I think that should I spend a year abroad sometime, it would be good to have easy access to English-language novels.

The library system does not have every book available in this format, and it seems to have lots of mass market bestsellers, but may do a little more searching to see what's available for e-loan.

No comments: