Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Help

Even though school started yesterday, I don't start teaching for a few weeks, thus giving me a little extra time to prepare.  I took advantage of the free afternoon and took my daughter on a date to the Laemmle to see the wildly popular movie The Help.  I had enjoyed the book back in January, and every one of my friends who saw the movie recommended it.

It did not disappoint.  Even though the movie had to leave out interesting things from the book due to time constraints, I felt as though it was true to the spirit and arc of the plot.

I went on rottentomatoes.com to read the critics' reviews, and it seems that the people who did not like the movie had a problem with the story (the book) rather than the realization of the story on the screen.  That is another debate, but as a person who is usually leary of book adaptations to the screen, I was pleased with this one.

BTW, C was, by far, the youngest audience member.  She said, "the wheelchairs in here outnumber the under-30 set."  True!

No comments: