Thursday, December 15, 2011

Eats, Shoots and Leaves

I rather consider myself a member of the grammar police corps.  I get totally annoyed with the misuse of their, there and they're, and I sometimes actually correct people.   I especially like to correct people who are also self-proclaimed grammar police. (And people have been known to correct me; it's true.  Not all police follow every law always...)

Anyway, Lynn Truss' little book, Eats, Shoots & Leaves, is for all the punctuation police out there with more information on commas, dashes and parentheses that one might care to know.  I recommend that one read one chapter at a time; it does not read like a novel.

I needed to finish this book soon since it will be going into the book club book exchange.

3 comments:

Rosemary said...

So glad you reminded me about this book! I get "itchy" fingers whenever I see grammatical mistakes.

Paul Wiebe said...

"I need to finish . . . since," etc. Some authorities opine that instead of 'since,' one should say 'because.' And many think there should be a comma before 'because.' (Others yet believe one should never begin a sentence with 'And.' Thank you, Mrs. Becker, my fifth-grade teacher, wherever you are.)

Bec said...

It was so much fun (as an English major) to see a grammar book on bestsellers lists . . . I still use parts of this with my students.