Friday, December 30, 2011

Food on the Big Island

It wouldn't be my blog if I didn't have a food post.  In no particular order, here are some of the highlights of our culinary experiences.
These are Kona coffee beans at the Bayview Coffee mill.  These are being turned by hand every hour.  We had a lovely tour here by the owner and bought some beans home to enjoy and share with our lucky daughters.
 Ken's House of Pancakes in Hilo.  A tradition.  If you like a 50's diner with Hawai'ian flare, you have come to the right place.
 This is Mahi Loco at Ken's.  Loco Moco is a bowl of rice, topped with meat of your choice and then gravy, then topped with two eggs.  I had to try it once.  Now I have.
 These are the side dishes at the Manago Hotel in Captain Cook.  You choose your meat and these sides come family style. H even ate the limas!
 This was the meat we chose - Ono.  It's a delicious white fish.
 I had to take a photo of the inside of the Manago Hotel dining room.  I loved the yellow formica table which looks just like the one we had when I was growing up.
 The Papaya Special - breakfast at the Coffee Shack.
 My favorite meal was Christmas Eve at Cafe Pesto.  We started with the crab cakes salad.  The dressing was fabulous, as well as the cakes.  The recipe for the dressing is on their website. (There is also a Cafe Pesto in Hilo.)
 Next came the Pizza Margherita.  We took half of it with us for Christmas lunch.
 We couldn't resist the creme brûlée.  Double yum.
 I could not resist taking a photo of these guys at the Hawai'ian Style Cafe in Weimea.  It looks like they came down from Alaska.
This is the "Light Breakfast".  
 This is the breakfast sandwich.

No comments: