Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Salvage the Bones

Here is yet another award-winning book (National Book Award) that I could have been happy never having read.  When I first heard that it was about Hurricane Katrina, I was intrigued.  I've been to New Orleans pre- and post-hurricane, and I'm a big fan of the TV show Treme which takes place in post-Katrina NO with heart and music as big as what-all.

The first 3/4 of this book leads up to Katrina in Mississippi and hardly seems to have any momentum, story arc, or interest.  Katrina comes with a fury, then leaves, and one would think that kind of disaster might require some kind of soul-searching, or at least some kind of contemplation.

Obviously I am missing something big here that many people see, but I didn't feel as though I wanted to take the effort with this book.

1 comment:

Nell said...

I didn't like it much either, Charlotte. Too much about the dog fighting and the violence and not enough about the hurricane.