It has occurred to me that in the 30-some years that I have been doing my own taxes that I rarely looked at old receipts. Of course, some receipts are important for tax deductions, and some are important if the item I purchased has a warranty. But, really. Am I going to need to revisit the receipt for a tank of gas, a cup of coffee or some miscellaneous items from Target? It used to be helpful when tracking expenses, but now everything is online and can be looked up, when necessary.
Today I started collecting the information for the 2011 tax year, and I see that my pile of documents has shrunk. This can only be good since a few years ago I went through old boxes of tax information to shred, and each year took me longer than I thought it needed to. When I put gas in the car yesterday and the machine asked me if I wanted a receipt, for the first time I pressed no.
Liberation from the white blizzard! Well, it's now down to a light sprinkling of snow...

No comments:
Post a Comment