Moonrise Kingdom was one of those movies that I wanted to see in the theater this summer, but it was gone before we could get there. We finally watched it last night, and I really, really liked it. Now, Wes Anderson films are pretty quirky, and I'm not a particular fan of his at all, but this one's sense of a mythic 1960s childhood resonated with me. (Guess my age!) It felt like the kind of foreign film that I often enjoy without being able to pinpoint why.
I loved the music of the film - lots and lots of Benjamin Britten (who knew I was such a fan of his?), and the fact that the girl carried a portable record player with her. She also carried about six library books that I found out were made up for this movie.
If I had to chose books that I would have put in her hands, some would have been Harriet the Spy, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (I know it was published in 1966, a year too late for the movie, but, it would still fit), A Wrinkle in Time, The Phantom Tollbooth, The Prydian Chronicles, and any of the Narnia books.
I am also catching up on some TED talks, and I blogged about one of them in my music blog. This one is Stuart Brown's talk about the importance of play in human life.
Maybe I'll add that to my new year's resolution list - relearn German and play more.

No comments:
Post a Comment