Hey, another book read! My co-ed book club will be discussing Monica Tresandes' first novel, Broken Like This, a story about a young bisexual woman who is in an accident and how that affects the various people in her life - her boyfriend, girlfriend, mother and creepy stepfather.
Well, I think that's what it's about, although it gets all weird at the end. It's told with lots of flashbacks, which I am very used to these days, but what I found tiresome was the repetition of so much material. The back and forth between past and present was easy enough to follow that I didn't need lots and lots of reminders.
This might have made a much better novella, with some depth to the characters, and maybe a clearer theme. Getting the idea I didn't like it too much? Well, I won't put a star by it on my list. We'll see what others in book club thought.

No comments:
Post a Comment