Don't tell my doctor, but I turn to the internet for information on various health issues. I know the professionals don't like you to do that, but I try to look at a variety of websites, including the nih and mayo and webmd which are pretty good.
About a year ago I had a toothache (blog post here) which turned out to be a sinus issue. Lo and behold, it returned recently, and I am pretty sure it is allergy related. I know that my sinuses are blocked because my left ear is also blocked which I can feel when I do an inversion at yoga class. I took Sudafed on Tuesday and really, really hate the way it makes me feel all jittery and anxious, so I thought I'd see what other remedies might be available over-the-counter before I called my doctor.
I stumbled on a page that suggested that guaifenesin would help with mucus-thinning. This is the active ingredient in Mucinex and Robitussin. I would never have thought of that since those are usually used for congestion in the lungs and coughing.
Let me tell you that it has been working. I have been taking Mucinex for 2 days now, and I already feel a difference. I also have the humidifier going at night and can now use the Neil Med nasal sinus wash. And really, now I like breathing again! Funny how when you get used to a condition you don't remember what normal feels like.
No comments:
Post a Comment