Friday, October 18, 2013

Carleton Alums, Convo, and Schiller

I have blogged in the past about Carleton College and our strange history with a bust of the German poet philosopher Friedrich Schiller. This morning while I was streaming the Carleton Convocation (the speaker was our classmate, Bob Daily who I've also blogged about), but I learned something about Schiller today that I hadn't known.

The poet used to keep rotting apples in his desk drawer, and when he needed a little inspiration, he would sniff the putrid odor. Apparently, rotting apples give off methane gas which can give a powerful elevating effect, or, in other words, can give you a buzz. And this is the icon my alma mater has elevated to some kind of godlike status. Yup. It's a quirky school. (I've always known that.)

Bob's talk was about his road from Carleton to Hollywood and also about creativity. You can watch an archived stream of this talk (and others) at this site. It might take a day or two to be archived.

No comments: