Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Homemade Gifts

Happy Birthday to my sister!

This year for my birthday, my sister gave me a copy of the book she had written. I am getting to the point where I particularly enjoy gifts that have been made by the giver, so I decided to reciprocate (a little) for her birthday. I have not published a book, but I thought I would give her a little trip down memory lane. When we were young, I had a record that we listened to so that we might learn a little French. A number of years ago I found the record in some sale, purchased it, and then eventually made mp3s of the songs.

Our favorite song was called Excuze moi! which had a great line about spilling soup on big sister's dress. I wanted to make a CD of this album for the birthday present, but it turns out that the quality of the mp3s was not particularly high. With a little internet digging, I not only found this photo of the record, but a whole website that has turned childhood records from the 50s and 60s into free downloadable mp3s for all.

If you go to this site, you can see all kinds of records, some of which you might even know, or might want to know - from Danny Kaye, to Will Rogers, and even Bob Keeshan (you know, Captain Kangaroo!). What a treasure!

No comments: