Thursday, March 27, 2014

Claremont Library - 100 Years Old

I did not make it to the Opening Party for the Library's Centennial last Saturday, but I wanted to see the historical exhibit about the library's past 100 years. My postcard from the Friends of the Claremont Library altered me to the fact that this exhibit is very temporary - closing this coming Sunday - so I got over to the Garner House in Memorial Park this morning.

I am not one for reading long articles hanging on walls in exhibits, but I read just about every word in this show. When you are reading about something in your own life (and the library is a big part of mine), it becomes infinitely interesting. 

I asked the young man who let me in if this information is collected anywhere besides this ephemeral exhibit, and he said that it will soon (in a month or so?) be on a website somewhere - either the historical society or Friends of the Claremont Library. It was not clear to me, but I will be on the lookout for it - or perhaps someone will let me know!

The exhibit is open today until 1:00, tomorrow through Sunday from 1-5, and it is free. Go!

The exhibit is in the back of the Garner House.

I really like maps, especially old ones. This is part of a very large map in the exhibit.

Here are photos on one board of the original library, a Spanish Revival building which sat where the current library does. It's too bad that the building was too small and could not be expanded. Most people agree that the current structure is visually unappealing. (Except for the newly renovated Children's Room.)

I did not know that the Friends of the Claremont Library began in 1957. I have only been aware of it for the past 10 or so years. 

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Thanks, Charlotte, for this information. Ironically, I just went by Garner House this morning, BUT I was not aware of this exhibit. Now, thanks for you, I plan to go back before Sunday to see it!