My Alexander Technique teacher suggested that I read this book, Mindsight, by Daniel Siegel. For some reason I thought it would be about how to meditate. In some ways, it has something to do with mindfulness, but it's not so much a how-to manual as it is how understanding how our brains are wired and how to use mindful techniques, called mindsight by Siegel, to not only enrich our lives, but our relationships.
I have started becoming very interested in this type of thing since I notice that many of my students come into the music room not at all ready to listen, and not at all ready to learn. I have started trying to get their minds to relax for a few minutes at the beginning of class, and, if nothing else, it gives the room a sense of calm, at least for a few moments. I feel as though I can explain what we are about to do (because I try to make my classes about doing rather than just listening to me drone on) without trying to compete for their minds' attention. Since we can only do this as a group once a week, and I haven't done it long, I cannot comment on any noticeable changes in my students, except for at the start of class.
I have now put a few books on my reading list about mindfulness in schools. Stay tuned.

No comments:
Post a Comment