You might be able to guess that I like to communicate with people. I like to talk. (Really, I love to talk. I'm just wired that way. Sorry if that's a problem. I don't mean it to be.) I write letters, send cards, mail the occasional package. Obviously, I blog. And, I email.
When email first became available, back in the day, I was right on it. First I had one account, then I somehow ended up with four or five. Now I've pared it down to two. Along the way I kept up with the technology, and it became easy for me to set up group email lists. I also understand the difference between reply and reply all, and I hope that I am very careful in using them correctly. There is also an important difference between reply and forward. (I have been on the receiving end of a reply email meant to be forwarded and not meant for my eyes. That was interesting.... and yes, it is all sorted out now.)
Because I am quick to email, I became the de facto informant for several of the groups I'm involved with which shall remain nameless. I don't recall that I ever suggested that I be the actual leader of these groups, but I intended to act as a secretary.
Somewhere along the line, though, some people have assumed that I am the only one in the group who can send out a group email. Now, I hope it's not because they think I am the only official gatekeeper of information. I hope that it is because they have not figured out how to set up a group list or how to save one email with everyone's address and hit reply all.
I am here to say that I would like to liberate myself from the role of the only gatekeeper. First of all, this fall when I am off on sabbatical, I will set aside my secretarial duties for the year of all my groups. Second of all, if you would like everyone to know something, I do not need to be the filter. You can share the wealth. You can send out an email yourself. It's not really difficult to do.
Now, back to your regularly-themed posts.
No comments:
Post a Comment