Saturday, March 8, 2014

Training People, Part 2

In getting ready for sabbatical, we have now posted information about our house rental with the colleges. In two days I've already gotten responses, but none are making me excited about renting to them. (I had other problems when we last rented out our cottage….)

1. "I'm calling about your house you have listed for rent. Is it available?" "It will be available in mid-August." "Oh, not now?" 

Tip #1 - When calling about an advertisement, make sure you read it through before bothering someone.

2. This email ended with a very strong religious message. 

Tip #2 - Don't advertise your religion. Do I really have to say this?

3. This email told me why our house is perfect for them. 

Tip #3 - I'm glad we might be able to help you, but the real question is, why should we rent out our home to you? I need a compelling reason to know you will take excellent care of our home.

4. This email used no signature. Just thank you (no punctuation). The follow-up email asked how much "would the rent come out to be". (This is an email from a college student.) Again, no signature. 

Tip #4 - Please use common courtesy in your emails. Then refer to Tip #1.

I will be very happy when we find the right people to live in and love our home while we are gone.


No comments: