Saturday, April 3, 2010

Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve

A rare treat today - a whole day with nothing scheduled for either of us. The original thought was to drive to Joshua Tree National Park to see the wildflowers, but after remembering that it takes 2 1/2 hours to get there (and then 2 1/2 hours to return), we looked for a closer place and discovered the Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve near Murrieta. It's only about an hour away.

The Reserve boasts Vernal Pools, as well as wildflowers, and with the lovely rains we had this winter, it was a great day to take a 3 1/2 mile loop to take in the pools, the rolling hills with great live oak trees, historic adobe house and grinding stones. I have a new album at my picasa site with photos from our hike.

I love using my macro on my little camera - and with the blue sky today, I took this poppy photo looking up instead of down.

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

As always, most interesting with gorgeous photos. Thanks for sharing such a neat place.