Sunday, March 11, 2012

LACMA Rock

340 Tons of Rock
I have been following the story of the LACMA Rock much like many people in LA and beyond.  The story has made local and national news, as well as a friend's photo album on Facebook.  The rock has now arrived at its final destination - LACMA - where it will be installed as the main part of artist Michael Heizer's creation called Levitated Mass.

Here is an article about the final leg of the rock's 100+ mile journey from the quarry in Riverside.  This article has a nice selection of photos from the trip at the bottom of the page.

The rock has it's own Twitter account, as well as a ton (ha!) of videos on youtube (including this one).

I've seen comments from people who wonder why "taxpayer money" has been wasted (it is all private money), or what the big deal over "a rock" is, but, really, what a fun story!  With such an amazing amount of time and effort that has gone into this with modern conveniences, it surely gives one pause to appreciate the labor of the people who created Stonehenge, the Egyptian Pyramids, the great Mayan Cities, etc. without this technology.  I look forward to seeing the final installation. (I'm guessing that this one won't travel to other art museums on loan...)
In Ontario

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Like you, I want to see it when the installation is completed. It does give one pause for thought about what it took for the craftsmen to construct the pyramids.