Sunday, January 13, 2013

Flu Shots

Today we went to get flu shots. Normally I do not get one. My doctor does not particularly recommend it, and I do not remember the last time I got one. However, I have been watching the news, and last night I talked to my friend, Susan, who is a nurse practitioner, and she recommends that everyone get one. She has seen a number of cases in the ER already, even though California is not on the list as a state with a severe outbreak (like Massachusetts).

I am working hard to remember to wash my hands frequently, especially after working with my students, and to try to keep my hands away from my face (hard to do!).

H called our pharmacy yesterday, and they were out of the vaccine. Today he called the CVS on Foothill and Towne, and they said they were out. Wait, no, they had two more, if we could come in right now. We came in "right now." After a long wait, and some paperwork, and lines of people for other things, etc., we came away with two shots. FYI, if you are local, CVS thinks they will have more of the vaccine on Wednesday.

I know that I might feel some reaction to the shot, but it would just be my immune system reacting to the virus. Also, I know that the vaccine is 60% effective. So, I will continue to be vigilant with the hand-washing and trying to keep the hands away from the face.

Good luck to us all!

2 comments:

Ms. Lois said...

I had the flu last week and it was just awful. This is the first year in many that I didn't get the flu shot. I learned my lesson!

Charlotte said...

Glad you are better, though, Lois!