Monday, June 3, 2013

dA Center for the Arts

It's always a challenge to find a venue for our spring string recital. Last year three string teachers pooled together and had our recital at Pilgrim Place which was a delightful location. This year we had 15 students (6 violins, 1 viola and 8 cellos!). One of the violinist's moms is the director of the dA Center for the Arts in Pomona and she offered up the space there for our recital. It was a perfect place with a little stage, room for 50 chairs and a space for a small reception.

I had heard of the dA Center, but had not been before. I learned yesterday that the name dA came from the first building that the original studio used. It had been an Arthur Murray Dance Studio, but the letters NCE in dance had fallen off of the sign, so the founders decided to use the dA (no idea about the capital A) as their name.

Now that I know more about this place, I am thinking of ways in which to collaborate with them in future endeavors. I also want to go there to check out their exhibits which are free.

No comments: