Thursday, July 11, 2013

LACMA Again

In between Canter's and book club, we had time to kill and a desire to stroll through LACMA. Although we had just been there earlier in the month, I knew there would be art to revisit and perhaps something new to see. I've read that the best way to get to know a work of art is to have multiple encounters with it, so I was ready to see some of my favorites. What I had not realized that when we were there in early June was that we had totally missed the special exhibition of Hans Richter art. Granted, I think I had heard his name, but was not familiar with his art, film or writings. This retrospective has so. much. stuff. that it was overwhelming, so I concentrated on the pieces which caught my eye. I particularly liked these works (and I checked with the guards to make sure that I was allowed to photograph). Apparently these are scrolls which he made as a model for a film: The Orchestration of Color. I found this video online.

Now that I've seen that little clip, I think that this exhibit makes a great companion to the James Turrell exhibit that is also currently at LACMA.


No comments: