Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pella, Iowa

During our Iowa trip, one group of people went to the shooting range, but some of us (the sisters-in-law and me) went to Pella. Pella was founded by Dutch immigrants and retains a pervasive Dutch flavor. I saw at least four windmills, Dutch-inspired architecture and handicrafts.

This information booth sits in the town square

Dutch Delft Blue 


Dutch wooden shoes, of course


Some of the architecture


We just happened to be at the Klokkenspel when the little figures appeared with music. We watched as each character appeared and tried to figure out what it meant. This particular guy came out with his rifle while the chimes played Home on the Range. When I finally went over to the sign to find out what we had seen, I saw that he was Wyatt Earp, a Pella resident.


As we left town, I saw a Little Free Library, and a look on the internet shows that this is the one such library in Pella.


No comments: