Friday, November 29, 2013

Joys of Home Ownership

The photos below are not for the faint of heart….

If you are like me, and you have a dishwasher, you probably don't look at it too closely. But a few days ago, I noticed a spoon had slipped out and when I reached to get it from the bottom of the dishwasher, I noticed that the part that traps the gunk was, well, disgusting.  Since we seem to like home projects on holidays, we (read I) thought it would be a good idea to dismantle the appliance and clean it out but good before the onslaught of Thanksgiving dishes. It took longer than I thought it would, and we couldn't completely take out the bottom part, so I had to improvise on how to clean between the thingies. First I worked on it with a screwdriver, then H thought I should squirt water on what was leftover with the water pik from the bathroom. Then we ran a few short cycles with distilled vinegar.  In the end, it was 95% cleaner than before I started, so I was happy. I think I'll check on it more often now...

Before

Disgusting

Much better!

No comments: