Some day I may choose The Lowland as my book club selection. I finished it yesterday, reading the last 150 pages because I wanted to just enjoy the story and immerse myself in the book. Lahiri writes beautifully without drawing attention to her prose. You know how some writers appear to work very hard at writing beautiful droplets of phrases and metaphors which scream, "see how clever a writer I am?" She does not need this kind of self-promotion in her writing since the characters propel the story along.
I particularly enjoy epic stories which take place over several generations. This one starts with young brothers in Calcutta and reaches back into their parents' generation a bit before moving through 70 years and new generations and into America. Character motivations are revealed little by little, and though I would not have made some of the same choices as some characters, I did learn to understand their motivations.

No comments:
Post a Comment