Sunday, December 29, 2013

Inside Llewyn Davis

When my daughter L was young, and I thought she was old enough to have me read The Phantom Tollbooth aloud to her, she looked up at me somewhere in the middle of the book and said, "I don't really understand this book, but I really like it!" Well, I probably should have waited about 2 or 3 years to choose that particular book, and I hope that someday she gets around to reading it to herself, because she will understand it now, for sure.

I am waiting for C and B to come over soon for some football viewing so that we can discuss Inside Llewyn Davis, the latest Coen Brothers film. H and I walked out of the Laemmle yesterday and said, "We really liked that film. What did it mean?"I don't know if waiting 2 or 3 years will help me understand it, but others' insights might.

Of course, we had to look up reviews online and in the LA Times hard copy. The Times talked about the music of the movie (which I really, really liked, especially since the lead character played by Oscar Isaac not only acted well, but sang and played the guitar for reals. [sic] Then I asked H what he thought about the meaning of the cat (We had had a discussion about the meaning of the cat at the last episode of the Sopranos….), 'cause that cat wove it's way throughout the movie. I came across this article in the Atlantic (and it has spoilers, so you are warned). I thought it had some great observations and might be on to something.

In any case, I plan to see this movie again at some point. I'm glad I saw it in the theater first, though.

No comments: