Saturday, May 17, 2014

Deconstruction?

I had interrupted the reading of this book club book, I Love Dick by Chris Kraus, to read the Swiss Life book. Then I went back to the assigned reading. 

I know we will have plenty to discuss about this book, which is not so much a novel as it is "something between cultural criticism and fiction." Reading the afterword was helpful to me in trying to figure out exactly what was happening in the book. Or, not really what was happening, but what the author was trying to say. Which I still don't understand. Exactly.

It reminded me of when I was in grad school in music history, and our profs thought we should try to apply the literary theory of deconstruction to the writing about music. I know we read some Derrida, and I know that I had no clue what the theorists were talking about, how it mattered to anything, especially how it mattered to music and music criticism. 

No comments: