Sunday, March 1, 2009

Book Club Book

Hal and I are off to book club tonight, and I just now finished this month's choice - Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. It is a graphic novel (which used to be called a comic book) that won the Hugo Award in 1985. The Hugo Award is for science fiction. The selection of this book is timely since the movie comes out on Friday. After our meeting tonight, I may say something about our discussion, which could be quite lively. This kind of reading is not really what I enjoy, but I may get more out it if I hear what others say.

On Monday after book club - others in the club delved more deeply into the characters than I did and enjoyed the book on a more sophisticated level. I was not enough convinced to go back and reread the book.

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

Your feelings are echoed by mine with regard to graphic novels. I was somewhat amazed when I first read about them, but then I realized they were popular abroad and were quickly growing in popularity here in the U.S. I have stood before the shelves at the bookstores and looked at them, but I haven't found one I thought I could read. Your comments & suggestions after tonight will be welcome. I'm for whatever gets young people to read - well, almost "whatever."

Skrip said...

Graphic novels to me are an entry way for those kids who don't read or even like to read. I always use this trick with the hope that they pick up on reading more. I recently gave as Christmas gifts a novel titled 'AMULET' by Kazu Kibuishi, to those kids who I know DO NOT read at all. All the kids came back after New Years telling me they can't wait for the 2nd book. If the interest keeps up, I will lure them into deeper reading with less pictures!