Saturday, November 24, 2012

Albert Stewart

Last month my friend Carol toured the home of Claremont artist Albert Stewart who used to teach art at Scripps. She was showing me photos of the various sculptures in his home, and I was especially enamored of this owl. What surprised me, though, was that I started recognizing his style and realized that he had done quite a bit of the art at CUCC. 

Years ago there used to be tours every few months of the art in the church, but I never went on one of those tours, so I dug out the old pamphlet that we were given when we joined back in 1987, and as I thumbed through, I was amazed and impressed with the number of great artworks we take for granted in this building - from Millard Sheets to Sam Maloof.



So I went around a took a few photos of my own of the Albert Stewart works.
This is one of the wood panels at the front of the church - The Sower and the Seed.


Here is a sculpture on the north side of the sanctuary.


 This is the lectern with the eagle representing John.


This is the pulpit which is Matthew the Evangelist.



1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Wonderful photos of very special & memorable works of art. How marvelous it is that the church has all of those, as well as other inspiring & significant works of art.