Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Death Valley, Day 2

Day two was heading north. I talked H into touring Scotty's Castle, and I had heard that Thanksgiving weekend was a pretty busy time in the park, and that it may take up to several hours before we could book a tour. It wasn't too busy, and we only had to wait 20 minutes to tour time, giving us enough time to peruse the small visitor center and visit the facilities before our hour-long tour.

Although it was somewhat interesting, and the grounds are lovely, it wasn't one of our highlights. I would take a second tour of Hearst Castle before I would return here for the underground tour.


Not far from Scotty's Castle is the Ubehebe Crater - formed 2,000 years ago in a large eruption. You can't really tell from this photo, but it is 600 feet deep and 1/2 mile across. You can also hike up higher to see smaller craters, and we made it up to one of those. 

If we had rented a jeep, we would have taken the time to drive out to The Racetrack, but it would be a good half-day journey or more, so perhaps we will go back to see it some other time. Check it out at this link.


I think my favorite walk was our last one through Mosaic Canyon. The rock formations are varied and quite beautiful. Check out my Flickr page (link on left) for a few more photos.

No comments: