I may choose this book sometime for a book club. This is not The Soloist by Steve Lopez about the schizophrenic musician on the streets of LA (although this book has a character with schizophrenia AND it takes place in LA and has to do with a cellist - hmmmm....).
I really didn't know what this novel would be about, except that I've read some of Salzman's other books, and it surprised me that most of it is about a murder trial for which the main character is a jurist. It's also about the protagonist's journey as a concertizing musician gone south, and I am still mulling over the parallels of the two stories, plus the addition of a budding cellist who enters the story. I would have actually liked more of that story.
I think that book clubs would have much to discuss about this novel, especially about the trial and the idea of insanity and murder.

No comments:
Post a Comment