So. After finishing Blue Nights, I just had to go get Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking. I had been refraining from reading this book because of the subject. Who wants to read about what it's like to lose your spouse (unless, I suppose, you need company for your own similar journey, which I don't right now)?
If Blue Nights is not straightforward and chronological, then this one is. At least it's chronological in the way that my mind works. You know how you are talking to someone about one thing, and a tangential thought crosses your brain, and you take that path for a moment (or several) before returning to the original trajectory. Yeah, like that.
For book club a number of years ago we read Didion's Slouching Towards Bethlehem, and now after these non-fiction works, I am ready to read some of her fiction. Her beautiful sentences make me want to read more.

No comments:
Post a Comment