Do you know who Bruce Jenner is (before the Kardashians)? Chances are you know he was an Olympic athlete. To jog your memory, he was the decathlon Gold Medalist in 1976. Flash forward. Do you know who Bryan Clay is? I didn't either, until yesterday when he came to Vista. Clay also won the Gold Medal in decathlon - in the Beijing Olympics. Vista's principal, Dave Stewart, was also a decathlete, and he used to work out with Clay.
Clay came to tell the Vista kids that with hard work, you can achieve your dreams - whatever your dreams are. He arrived in a fire truck (driven over the field to the cheering of the students), talked to the excited crowd and then demonstrated a long jump and javelin throw. For fun, some of the teachers participated in putting the shot and javelin throw.
(As an aside, I read a pretty funny blog post about a javelin recently, and the sister-in-law of the blogger was a brave soul who was one of the teachers throwing the javelin yesterday. Although I have it on film, my better judgement said not to publish it on the blog, but if you want me to email you the clip....let me know.)
I have, however, included a video clip of Bryan Clay in the long jump at the bottom of this post. You can check out the Bryan Clay Foundation here.
![]() |
| Bryan Clay holds his gold medal |


1 comment:
Of course we want to see video of the teachers throwing the javelin...I'm sure she wouldn't mind. :-)
Post a Comment