I don't know why it's taken me so long, but I finally sent away for my grandmother's grandparents' marriage license from 1896. (Perhaps it's the release of the 1940 census that inspired me to.) We've had so little information on these particular ancestors, but I did manage to find out that I could order a photocopy of said license from the Wisconsin Historical Society.
Well, it arrived in the mail today, and I was pleased to find that it offered up the names of the bride's and groom's parents. I also found out that this great-great grandmother was not born in the town that I had previously thought (Ellsworth, Wisconsin), but in neighboring Trimbelle (5 miles due west of Ellsworth).
This set me off on a few hour's worth of internet digging, and I came up with one more generation of ancestors (one born in Tennessee - I never knew!), as well as a variety of spellings of one great grandmother's maiden names.

No comments:
Post a Comment