I've enjoyed Anne Lamott's past books, so it didn't take long for me to get on the waiting list for her newest book, Some Assembly Required. Lamott, along with her son, Sam, chronicles the first year in the life of Jax, Sam's son.
I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I think that Lamott's descriptions of raising an infant are spot on, as I can recall a very similar feeling when my oldest finally learned how to sleep through the night:
"Last night Jax got himself to sleep after ten minutes of crying, and then slept through the night. He passed out after crying a few minutes for both naps today. We all like him again and have decided to renew his lease."
What I like about Lamott's honesty of her foibles and character flaws is also what irritates me, especially as I got farther into this book. Yes, I understand that she has an intense attachment to her grandson, but to think of herself as The most important part of Jax's life can be tiring. At times the narrative reminded me of what I really disliked about Eat, Pray, Love, which is the narcissistic overdrive of the author. What redeems this book for me is her occasional admittance to these character flaws.

1 comment:
"narcissistic overdrive" - couldn't quite put my finger on it as I read "Eat Pray Love," but that's a perfect description.
Post a Comment